Ants in New Zealand
Ants are one of the most prevalent insects in NZ, with 38 different species throughout the North and South Islands only 11 are native to New Zealand. More than 10,000 different species are throughout the world. Ants are social animals that live in groups, or colonies, with a colony having as many as a million ants in residence. Three types of ants live in the colony: The Queen, female ants and male ants.
Ants are a good sign of a healthy and thriving ecosystem, they:
turn and aerate the soil, allowing water and oxygen to reach plant roots
aid in the decomposition of dead insects and other small animals
are a source of food for many invertebrates and vertebrates
However, an ant infestation can be equally annoying when they decide to build their nest in or near your home. Getting rid of ants in your kitchen or living areas can be an ongoing hassle to homeowners. Bugs Gone Pest Control Cambridge have the knowhow and techniques to manage ants in your business or home.
How to get rid of Ants
Like most pest insects in and around the home the basic principles of integrated pest management also apply to avoiding ant infestation:
- Sanitation and cleanliness - Remove rubbish daily, clean kitchen surfaces and flooring
- Reduce harborage - Seal gaps, cracks and entry points
- Prevention - Keep food in sealed containers or refrigerator. Keep bins sealed and away from the immediate exterior of your home.
How We Treat Ants
- Your technician will identify and assess ant activity in areas needing treatment.
- Treatment directly to the nest is the best way to get rid of ants and this will be carried out if it can be located.
- An exterior barrier treatment is applied to the base of your home/business.
- Ant trails, cracks and crevices are treated with granular/gel bait as required.
- Bait stations set up to interior locations of activity.
The treatment works on residual contact. The insect has to absorb the product by crawling over the product. The product then kills the insect by affecting the nervous system. Baits and granules are ingested by the insect.
Our pest control products are low-toxic and intended for application in homes with children and pets.
All products used by Bugs Gone are approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Authority of New Zealand) and used in accordance with all NZ Health & Safety requirements.